Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Literary Work


I decided to do a type of manga called 4カマ for my project. The koma are the number of scenes in the work and they follow a strict structure called "きしょうてんけつ".

起 (き): Set up a scene
承(しょう): Develop the story (or an expectation)
転(てん): Twist it!
結(けつ): Conclude...

There is something very lovely about this set up that drew me to yonkoma -- as my drawing demonstrates, however, I am not too fond of the convention of using squares to frame each scene!

In case it is difficult to read~

Title: いぶんかコミュニケーション (異文化 - Across Cultures, komyunikeshon is a loanword)
Aside: わらいごえはぜんぱんてきですよ!(Laughter is universal)

Ki:
Bird 1: ピチュピチュ (Pichu-pichu, Sound a bird makes in Japanese)
Bird 2: ツイート(Tweet, Sound a bird makes in English)

Sho:
Cat 1: ニャーニャー (Nya-nya)
Cat 2: ミャーウ (Meow)

Ten:
Humans: ハハハハハハハハ (Hahahahaha - Our special, universal onomatopoeia!)

Ketsu:
Dog 1: ワンワン* (Wan-wan)
Dog 2: バウワウ** (Bow-wow)
*ひとびとはへんですね。(Humans are strange, aren't they?)
**そうです。(Yeah.)

Languages don't just feature different phonemes - they even have different concretized onomatopoeia for animals. It is as if two animals of the same species but from different cultures got together they would be unable to communicate. Since the 'dialogue' is all onomatopoeia, it is written in Katakana -- with the added factor that in the case of all English animal sounds they are also loanwords.

The onomatopoeia for laughter, however, is the same in both languages -- and laughing is a distinctly human ability (if Medieval monks commenting on Aristotle are any authority on the matter). I think the fact that I was able to come back to America alive after going to Japan alone without a lick of Japanese is in no small part due to the fact that laughter and a smile are universally understood.

7 comments:

  1. This is a great work! Just curious where did you find the manga scenes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. good job! Nice images too! I love all the little animals. And I like how you say that "it's as if animals from other cultures wouldn't be able to communicate." I think about that kind of thing all the time when I look at a cat in Italy versus a cat in Japan. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. To Superjapanese-san, I drew them (so much as those scribbles can be called drawings).

    Thanks for the positive encouragement!

    -ムラサキ

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Scribbles? I guess my drawing wouldn't qualify as much more then chicken scratchings then because I think you did a fantastic job. The picture of the boy is hilarious! He looks like a robot or something.

    What I still don't understand is why katakana is used to make sounds. Do you know how that came to be?

    ReplyDelete
  5. とても かわい ですね!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed this, it accurately depicts both your literary talent and your artistic talent! とてもいいです!!! You really put in the effort to convey the onomatopoeia right!

    ReplyDelete
  7. おもしろいですね。 そしてかわいえです。 Your drawings are so cute; you obviously have amazing artistic talent. Also, I your message was very interesting. I feel like this is a perfect example of visual storytelling. Great job.

    ReplyDelete